Thursday, December 12, 2013

ISTA 301: The Last Blog of the Semester

Over the time spent in this course (ISTA 301: Computing and the Arts), I have had a wonderful time looking at the newer, technological side of art that I was formerly not as familiar with (I had traditional art history buffs in the family, thus I only knew up to Dadaism before the class began).  Now when I consider what "Art" is, I feel like I have a better way to defend newer media and the digital art styles I find so fascinating, because thanks to this course, we have looked at some of the arguements surrounding new media art, and have been able to create our own projects to create our own new media art.

Thus, where art to me before was really only the traditional (I was also a bit of a studio artist dealing mostly in intaglio printing and other printmaking forms), I can also include the digital, and redefine art (my personal definition), as a sensory experience that invokes some form of reaction from the viewer.  In other words, thanks to this class, my definition for art has become less specific, and practically could encompass any number of things that may or may not be art, because art already has a pretty flimsy definition to begin with.

As for my knowledge of creative practices and computational thinking, as I took this class due to my interest in computer sciences and the possibilities found within technology, I feel that this course has helped broaden my horizons and introduced me to many different and interesting concepts, such as programming art using Processing, or Algorithmic art.  I truly enjoyed the entire course and I am happy that I took it.  Thank you Professor Thomas for a fun semester!!

~~~~~Nathaniel Hendrix

No comments:

Post a Comment